Manuscripts

The first library in Estonia was established in 1246 in Tallinn by the Dominicans. It was situated in the eastern wing of the Dominican Monastery. The objective of the library was to satisfy the literature needs of local friars and a school which had been founded by the monastery. As a disciple of St. Albertus Magnus, Lecturer Mauritius played an important role in establishing new and much stricter standards of teaching in educating local Dominicans. Under his instructions, both the school and the library achieved a considerable standard. Many original documents preserved from the library are now kept in the Tallinn City Archive and the incunabula department of the National Library of Estonia. The library worked in the rooms of the monastery until the beginning of the Reformation, whereafter the monastery lost its natural function and its premises found use as a military and construction warehouse.

Words in Estonian written on the back cover of the book containing Golden Legend (Legenda aurea) by Guilleamus Parisiensis. 1482, 1485.

 

EVENTS

QUICK LINKS

CONTACT US

 
 
Institutum Mauritanum

Müürivahe 33
10140 Tallinn, Estonia

Phone: +372 5112536
E-mail: info@paideia.ee

Reg No. 80075928
Bank account in SEB: 10022036591001